Catching Up!

Man, it's been so long since I've been on! I miss just being able to not only talk to anybody who looks at this, but with myself. Haha. Well as many of you probably know, I'm the drum major for the Monahans High School Band and it is exhausting! I know I'm a band nerd and everything, but jeez! We had a freshman camp at the end of July and I went to that and I actually considered not going at all, but it turned out, both drum majors were needed and a lot of leaders/upperclassmen because the first day, about 30 freshman showed up! Then when we all gathered together and the band director saying that he new there was about 20 kids missing, I became very scared. Freshman are a lot scarier than you think because they think that since they are finally in High School they can rule the world. I've gotten used to the freshman now, but man! I'm really surprised at how many freshman we have this year! Anyways it didn't end there. Not even close. The next 2 days after freshman camp were a leardership retreat that I didn't attend because it was on a Sunday. It was also the first Sunday of the month which, in turn, made it fast Sunday. So after that, since we have the only Junior High marching band (ya!), we started Junior High summer band the Monday after that. It lasted Monday-Thursday. I did help with sectionals in the junior high band. It was really funny being able to "show off" to the junior high kids. They were in awe of how good I was. I got to the point to where I could read trumpet music on my saxaphone. I was even playing better than some of the High School trumpets that were there! I was pretty shocked myself, but I just did what I did. The week after that, finally High School Band started up. The other drum major's name is Lea and we had to be up there from 2-6. It was very boring the first hour and a half. we just sat in the office and did nothing while the band directors were busy helping all the sections out. We would usually sit for about 10 minutes, go and check on each section, and get back to doing nothing. Then from 3:30-4:30 was full band and we basically directed at the side for the entire time, trying to find out what the heck what the band director was doing. After that was sectionals for all the woodwinds and thankfully Lea and I are woodwind players! So we helped with sectionals the last hour and a half. That was my favorite part. Then this week it all changed up because of athletics or something like that. On Monday band people went to the freshman orientation to play the school and fight song, and in the process of getting ready we decided to get the ladder. I climbed up it to get the feel of it and on the way down, fell. It was pretty graceful, but I got laughed at and laughed at myself. It was pretty funny. Lea was the one that was actually worried about falling off it. The irony. Then on Wednesday and Thursday, we had band from 9-11. On Wednesday, not even half the band showed up. It was pathetic. There were people like Lea though that had an excuse not to be there. Everyone else either "forgot", or just didn't want to come, then again, who does? For me, it's the only thing that I have to do, so I'm just fine with it. Everyone else I guess have lives. :P Anyways, that's all for now. The first game is in Snyder on August 27. The first home game is a week after that. That's about all I know right now...soooooo, until next time!


Blu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's so much better

Football

Stock Show